16 February 2015, Seminar Room, Byrne House, Exeter
Understanding in Scientific Practice: Reasoning, Cognition, Mechanisms
- 13:30 Welcome and introduction
- 13:35 Professor Henk de Regt (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam): Kinds and Degrees of Understanding
- 14:15 Dr Phyllis Illari (University College London): How Are Mechanistic Explanations Understood?
- 14:45 Tea and Coffee Break
- 15:15 Professor Sabina Leonelli (University of Exeter): Data-Centric Science and Distributed Understanding
- 15:45 Dr Adam Toon (University of Exeter): Understanding and Extended Cognition
- 16:15 Conclusion
The workshop was funded by the European Research Council, through the project DATA_SCIENCE. No advance registration was needed. The workshop organisers were Sabina Leonelli and Adam Toon.